Hair Loss, Fall &
DUBAI, ABU DHABI & SHARJAH
Hair Fall Phases
It is essential to have a brief idea about the stages of hair growth to understand hair loss better. Hair fall is a normal part of the hair growth phase and an essential part of the growth cycle in individuals. The human body grows hair everywhere on the body except the palm, soles of feet, back of ears, and inside of the mouth. The human scalp faces 50-100 strands of hair loss daily, which is normal. Only when the loss of hair is not accompanied by new hair growth is when it considered abnormal.
Hair growth consists of an entire cycle of growth of new hair to the shedding of previous hair and is divided into 4 phases, namely:
The active phase of hair growth. Active growth phase because of regular division of cells in the root of the hair. It lasts for 3-5 years.
Phase 2: Catagen
The phase where active growth stops.
Phase 3: Telogen
The dormant phase is when hair starts the process of shedding. Phase in which the strands remain in the follicles but do not actively grow. It lasts for 90-100 days.
Phase 4: Exogen
A phase in which the follicles release the strands and fall out. It lasts 2-5 months and is followed by the anagen phase.
Any disruption in the growth cycle that affects these 4 phases results in hair thinning, hair loss, and stunted hair growth. Hair loss in Dubai has been a growing concern over the years owing to its dry climate and saline water. Pollution and stress issues have further triggered the problem and increased the need for an ideal hair loss treatment in Dubai.
- Excessive hair loss: in the above-mentioned last hair growth phase (The Exogen), it is stated that losing between 100 to 200 hairs every day for a specific period is quite natural and not problematic. However, once you notice that the number of daily lost hair exceeds 200 (100) for maximum, you unquestionably have a hair loss issue.
- Receding hairline, especially for those having male pattern baldness.
- Hair thinning in some head regions, such as the sides, the top of the head and the crown area.
- Gradual thinning on top of the head
- Thinned-out hair with stunted hair growth
- Slower hair growth
- Increased hair on the brush
- Observable hair on the pillow
Before hair fall treatment in Dubai, cosmetic medical centres like Bizrahmed take a detailed hair fall test of the patients to assess the severity of their condition. This makes it easy for the surgeon to initiate the necessary treatment method.
Possible Hair loss & fall Causes
Multiple reasons might result in hair loss:
- Male Pattern Baldness (or Androgenic Alopecia) is one of the most common reasons behind hair fall and is generally related to heredity and family history. It usually follows the pattern of a receding hairline preceded by hair thinning in the crown area.
- Unhealthy lifestyle: your lifestyle is intertwined with the growth of your hair. Thus, unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking alcohol and eating junk food result in hair loss.
- Hormonal issues: hormonal imbalance that might occur due to excessive production of Androgen, Thyroid related issues, postpartum period, menopause, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)… etc., can cause hair loss.
- Environmental issues like water and air pollution, as well as humidity which is the case in many Gulf countries, including Dubai, besides the excessive exposure to the heat without using any sun protection products, are other reasons that may negatively affect and damage our hair and lead to hair related problems in the long run.
- Regularly using unhealthy hair products: Our hair care routine is crucial to avoid hair fall. People who usually use hair products, whether shampoos, hair conditioners, hair serums, oils, or sprays containing chemical components such as Paraben, Sulfates and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), are more likely to face hair problems at any time.
- Some Chronic diseases: The majority of people, both males and females, who are diagnosed with chronic diseases like unbalanced blood pressure, whether low or high, Diabetes, Hypertension, Lupus (An autoimmune disease), Rheumatoid Arthritis, Iron deficiency Anaemia, cancer (not the disease itself that leads to hair loss but rather its treatment mainly chemotherapy), some Sexually Transmitted İnfections like Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), some eating disorders including Bulimia and Anorexia Nervosa, face hair fall or hair thinning over time.
- Psychological problems: Most of the time, various mental illnesses like anxiety, acute depression, OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorders)… etc., might also result in hair issues.
- Lack of vitamins, minerals and proteins.
- Male pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia begins as a receding hairline or bald spot at the top of the head before affecting other regions. Regarded as the most common form of hair loss in men, it affects 30-50% of men under 50. Along with affecting the individual’s self-image, Male Pattern Baldness is a risk factor for arterial stiffness and cardiovascular disease. Alterations in hair cycle development, follicular inflammation, and miniaturization characterize male pattern baldness.
- The length of the anagen phase in Male Pattern Baldness decreases with each step, while the telogen phase is prolonged. This results in an exceedingly short growing hair reaching the skin’s surface. The three stages of Male Pattern Baldness in sequence are receding hairline, bald spots on the crown of the head, and hair loss all over the head.
- Genetics: Hereditary hair loss conditions in the form of androgenetic alopecia are a significant cause of balding issues, especially among males.
- Age: With age occurs, hormonal fluctuations are responsible for hair loss. Additionally, age-related shrinking of follicles is another reason for hair thinning and subsequent hair loss.
- Stress: Tellurium Effluvium (stress-related pushing of hair growth into the resting phase), Trichotillomania ( stress-related pulling of hair), and Alopecia Areata (stress-induced attack on hair follicles by the immune system) are some of the significant Stress-induced hair loss conditions.
- Lifestyle factors: Smoking and alcohol consumption are significant triggers for hair loss problems. Sun exposure, pollution, and chemical hair products are other primary reasons for the condition.
- Cancerous conditions: Cancerous conditions and chemotherapy for cancer treatment can result in reversible hair loss in the individual. Hodgkin’s Lymphoma is one such condition resulting in severe hair loss.
Hair Loss treatment
People with poor hair growth and weak hair are ideal for hair loss treatments. The treatment is also beneficial for those suffering from alopecia. Hair Loss Treatment is an excellent solution for both men and women, especially when hair transplant surgery is not an option. Hair loss treatment will help stimulate new hair growth in men who suffer from androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) and women who suffer from female pattern baldness.
Some medications, such as Finasteride and Minoxidil, have been proven effective for multiple hair fall types as they can strengthen and treat the damaged and weak hair follicles, eventually decreasing hair loss.
Therapy (LLLT): it is one of the most recently invented and FDA-approved hair loss treatment methods that helped thousands of patients to get rid of this irritating problem as it stimulates the hair follicles and boosts hair growth.
PLATED-RICH PLASMA (PRP INJECTIONS)
it is one of the best available non-surgical hair loss treatment options. It is done by drawing between 15 to 50 ml of the patient’s blood, centrifuging it to separate its constituents, collecting the Platelet Rich Plasma, and injecting it into the damaged areas. It stimulates the blood circulation in the scalp, decreasing hair fall after finishing all the sessions (between six to twelve sessions that the doctor decides after examining the hair).
A hair transplant is the most effective hair loss treatment, mainly for patients diagnosed with hereditary and androgenic alopecia (male and female pattern hair loss). It is primarily applied by extracting hair follicles from the donor area of the head and transplanting them in the damaged, thin or bald areas. The application differs from one technique to another.
Why choose Bizrahmed
for Hair Loss Treatment?
Bizrahmed is classified today as one of the best destinations worldwide for patients diagnosed with any hair loss for multiple causes:
- The high success rate has reached 95% for surgical and non-surgical hair fall treatment procedures.
- Highly qualified and experienced surgeons certified by the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS).
- Competitive and quite an affordable cost.
- FDA-approved technologies.
- Having the latest and best-existing technologies to definitively treat hair fall and following up with the patient until he/she gets the final result.
- Adopting a patient-centric approach as our top priority is the contentment and satisfaction of our patients.
Of Hair Fall
There are numerous types of hair loss which include:
- Androgenic Alopecia: According to the International Society Of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS), most patients with hair problems have the same issue in their family history. This type of hair loss is known as Androgenic Alopecia, including female and male pattern hair loss. Males diagnosed with this type notice a receding hairline and hair thinning in the crown area and the sides of the head. However, for females, it generally starts with hair thinning on the top of the head and a receding hairline in a few cases.
- Alopecia Areata: an autoimmune disease that leads to the attack of hair follicles by the immune system, which causes hair fall and might lead to baldness if not treated early.
- Traction Alopecia: This type of alopecia usually affects females, generally occurring due to multiple tight hairstyles, including cornrows, ponytails, hair extensions… etc.
- Anagen effluvium is a type of hair loss that occurs during the anagen phase of the hair growth cycle, which is supposed to be the stage of hair growth leading to excessive hair shedding instead.
- Telogen effluvium: This type occurs in the telogen phase, also known as the resting phase of hair growth, and it damages hair follicles resulting in hair loss.
How much does the treatment cost?
There are various types and multiple causes of hair problems. There is a different treatment for each case which include medicines, PRP injections (the number of sessions needed might differ from one case to the other), LLLT, and hair transplant (its cost also depends on the number of sessions as well as the technique that fits each patient, whether FUT, FUE, SAPPHIRE or DHI, Thus, there is no fixed cost, and the doctor can not determine what you need before the consultation. But remember that you will get an affordable cost in our hospital while assuring the best quality.
Hair loss postprocedural
There is no activity restriction after hair loss treatments. You may shower, shampoo, and condition your hair usually as you do after recommended hours before the treatment and resume normal, daily, and athletic activities.
Follow-up examinations after treatment procedures enable the surgeon to determine the extent of recovery and advice added to treatment methods if required. After a session of hair fall treatment in Dubai at Bizrahmed, surgeons advise regular follow-up visits for the next 4 weeks to monitor the patient’s recovery and manage any untoward complications.
After the procedure Considerations
Unhealthy Food Habits
Even after a successful hair treatment, regular intake of junk food/ fatty, greasy foods can increase saturated and unsaturated fats levels that can affect the transplanted shaft.
Lack of Care & Maintenance
Care and maintenance in the early stages of hair loss can prevent the problem from worsening significantly. This is precisely why we at Bizrahmed advise a meticulous maintenance regimen for the long life of the transplanted hair treatment outcome.
Styling involves the use of heat that is unhealthy for growing follicles. Additionally, it consists of the risk of excessive pulling-induced traction alopecia that affects the growing hair and the bristles underneath the hair shaft.
Chemicals cause irreversible damage to the roots and hair along with thinning/breaking of the main shaft. The use of chemicals can result in hair getting uprooted in Tufts and impacting the recovering hair growth cycle mainly responsible for hair growth.
Abstaining From Alcohol & Smoking
Smoking and alcohol consumption can affect the collagen of the dermis and prevent the hair from regrowing optimally. Abstaining from smoking and alcohol intake can significantly help hair regrowth.
Taking Care of Allergic Conditions
Even after a successful round of hair treatment, being careless with your allergic conditions can result in histamine buildup that can cause little hair regrowth. Before hair loss treatment in Dubai, patients are advised to give a careful history of their allergic status to enable the surgeon to make a customized treatment plan. After surgery, medications and postoperative care are suggested based on this plan.
Many patients opting for hair loss treatments in Dubai and other areas do not realize the harm caused by the sun to their follicles and potential hair growth. Sun protection before and after hair transplant treatment is essential for hair regrowth.
What To Expect in the consultation?
When you consult a doctor, he will figure out the type of your hair loss and identify whether the cause is genetic, medical or environmental by:
1) Checking your medical history: this is a very crucial step when the doctor will ask you a couple of questions that could help him determine the underlying reasons behind your hair issues, which include: your age, your health condition (to know if you have any illnesses, whether physical or mental, that might cause hair fall if you are getting any medications regularly if you had any hormonal issues that usually show up after childbirth, pregnancy, menopause… etc. when you noticed the hair problem if you have the same issue in the family (to check if it is related to genetics and heredity) if you have any nutritional deficiencies or eating disorders like anorexia. Expect the Doctor to ask you questions that might seem unrelated and inevitable, but they are intertwined with hair loss problems like your work, the weather in your country, your hair care routine… etc.
2) Doing a physical examination: After knowing the patient’s medical history, the doctor will examine your scalp by doing simple tests, such as the pull and tug. The latter is done by pulling a section of the hair from different parts of the head and softly tugging them again to check the fragility of the hair. You are diagnosed with active hair loss in case six or seven strands fall out.
3) Blood Tests: it is always recommended to do blood tests when you notice that your hair is falling excessively, which might include:
*Diabetes blood tests.
*Thyroid level test.
*CBC test (Complete bound test).
*Iron, calcium, phosphorus test.
*Total Testosterone test.
4) Punch biopsy: The doctor might also use this technique in the first consultation if the patient is diagnosed with a cicatricial or scarring alopecia by removing a tiny tissue and examining it with a microscope in a laboratory.
5) Photography: lastly, during a hair loss consultation, the doctor might take pictures from all the areas of the head (the sides, the top, the crown and the donor area).
6) Treatment suggestion: most of the time, the doctor will figure out the primary type of hair loss and suggest a treatment that suits your case in the first consultation.
The average person tends to lose 50-100 strands a day. People with shorter or thinner hair tend to shed less than longer-haired individuals. Long-haired individuals lose around 150-200 strands of hair on the washing day. The fallen hair can regrow if the follicle is still intact. But if the follicle has closed or is scarred, new hair does not grow in its place. There are two simple tests to determine whether you have abnormal hair fall:
- Comb test You must comb your hair from the back of your head to the front of the scalp and then count the hair strands lost during the combing process. Loss of more than 10-15 strains indicates abnormal hair fall.
- Pull test Approximately 60 strands of hair are taken between the fingers and gently pulled. 5-8 strands of hair in the fingers are standard, but 15-20 are abnormal.
In our clinic, we provide patients with free consultations. All you need to do is to call the following phone number: +9713444688 and book an appointment immediately.
Hair loss is not classified as a chronic or permanent problem. İt is one of the common issues that could be efficiently treated if diagnosed early. And thanks to the advanced technologies available today in Dubai generally, and in our clinic specifically, there is a productive solution for each type and stage of hair loss. Once you get your treatment done and follow your doctor's instructions, you will get the best results and get rid of this problem definitively.