FOR ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy uses energy from acoustic waves to improve blood circulation by triggering neovascularization and forming new blood vessels. It is used to help patients with kidney stones, heart problems, fractures, inflamed joints, and erectile dysfunction.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai has the following advantages:
- Noninvasive treatment lasting 20 minutes in a treatment room – walk in and out within 30 minutes.
- No medication is required.
- Fewer complications than in other treatment modalities
- Significant clinical benefit is often seen within 6-8 weeks after treatment.
The results of our patients to date are very encouraging, and, in our opinion, this treatment option completely changes the landscape of erectile dysfunction management.
- Anyone with mild to severe Erectile Dysfunction can likely benefit from shockwave therapy. This includes the nearly 50% of men that struggle with getting or maintaining an erection.
- Shockwave treatment in Dubai may be a good option for men who
- Desire treatment to reverse the underlying cause of ED
- If you are looking for a better response to the oral medicines used to treat ED
- Want a non-invasive treatment for their ED before moving on to other options
- The typical treatment course is 6 treatments over 6 weeks, and 50-80% of patients will report an improvement in their erections 30 days after they have completed the entire treatment cycle.
- Theoretically, shockwave treatment in Dubai can help all patients suffering from ED and even improve erections in men with no issues or prevent erectile dysfunction.
- However, given that it is a new treatment modality, scientific evidence is still being gathered, and we only recommend the treatment to patients that suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Patients that do not respond to an intra-cavernously injection test are not good candidates for shockwave therapy since this will generally mean that their erection mechanism is significantly damaged, and it is unlikely that they will benefit from this treatment modality.
- A complete pre-treatment diagnostic evaluation is always advised before the patient proceeds with this option to establish if it is appropriate and determine the optimum treatment protocol.
A clinical expert will apply a probe covered in a special gel to your penis for a 15-20-minute therapy session. The therapy is usually done without anaesthesia or pain relief as, although you might experience a tingling sensation, the process is not typically painful.
Please speak to your urologist about this option, as most men will tolerate it and have shown positive results in clinical trials. Many men have reported that their erections have improved, although those with more severe ED may still need medication alongside the therapy.
Usually, the response to shockwave treatment in Dubai is good; however, it may take several months before the maximum effect is achieved. If, after 3-4 months, the patient still does not experience a pronounced improvement, other treatment modalities will need to be considered.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai costs will depend on the type of operation, the medical material used, and the specific circumstances of each patient. Following your consultation and if you are a candidate for surgical treatment, an all-inclusive cost will be quoted (covering medical material, hospital fees, anaesthetist fees, surgeon’s fee, and all the follow-up consultations).
Most indications require 3–5 treatments that are done 3–10 days apart, depending on the patient’s tolerance and tissue response.
Generally, it takes about 16 weeks after your treatment to experience the full benefits of shockwave therapy.
It is recommended that patients refrain from physical activity, especially one involving the treated region, for about 48 hours following each treatment session.
The number of treatments varies depending on the indication and tissue response. The effect of the treatment is cumulative, so you will typically need more than one (3–5) treatments. Very often, though, you will experience relief right after the first treatment.
If you have a medical condition causing your dysfunction, our expert doctors will work with you to correct the problem. A common cause for most of the related issues is hormonal imbalance. Both men and women can have hormone therapy to help them restore proper sexual function. There are also drugs like Viagra (generic name sildenafil) that can help increase blood flow to the penis. If your dysfunction is related to a medication you are taking, our expert doctors will prescribe a different medication that won’t interfere with your sexual activity.
Most patients will experience immediate pain relief following the treatment. However, within 2–4 hours after the treatment, they may experience some soreness in the treated area. This soreness has been reported as tolerable and not limiting.
Most patients with chronic pain problems have been through various unsuccessful treatments. Up to 80% of the same patients worldwide report that Shockwave therapy has helped them eliminate their erectile dysfunction problem.
Depending on the level of pain the patient is already experiencing in the area, there may be slight discomfort during the treatment. However, since the treatment lasts only about five minutes, most patients can tolerate this discomfort. Additionally, the intensity of the treatment can be adjusted throughout the session.
Each treatment session lasts around 20 minutes. When you arrive at the clinic, a nurse will take you to the room with the shockwave machine, where you will lie on the treatment bed. The medical practitioner will then apply the treatment using a special probe on different parts of your penis and perineum. Most patients experience minimal discomfort or pain during the session. If you do not feel comfortable, you must let your medical practitioner know, and the shockwave intensity will be adjusted accordingly.
As the method seems to have a physiologic effect on the erection mechanism, repeating the treatment after a certain period seems logical; however, the question regarding a possible saturation effect remains unanswered and requires further investigation.
The biological effects of shockwave therapy are permanent and have been established on the basic science level. However, erectile dysfunction depends on patients’ lifestyles and is usually a symptom of underlying health issues that lead to ED. Because ED usually gets worse in patients with comorbidities, the improvements after the treatment might be reversed over time if the underlying conditions are not addressed.
Given that the treatment is relatively new, the most extended period that patients have been followed up after treatment in a systematic way as part of a clinical trial was 12 months.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai is widely used to treat all indications, from soft tissue injuries (tendinopathies) in humans and horses to diabetic foot ulcers to erectile dysfunction and even cellulite.
Shockwave treatment in Dubai initiates a pro-inflammatory response in the tissue where the shockwaves have been applied. The body responds by increasing blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area, accelerating the body’s healing processes.
In the specific case of Erectile Dysfunction, shockwave improves erections via two mechanisms:
- Promotes angiogenesis(development of new blood vessels) in the penis, which means that the blood flow to the penis increases, and hence more robust erections are achieved;
- Rejuvenation of penis smooth muscle– most patients suffering from ED do so because the smooth muscle in their penile arteries has been damaged, thus inhibiting the functioning of the so-called Veno-occlusive mechanism. Shockwave therapy in Dubai has been shown to induce the body to repair the smooth muscle in the penis and thus improve the function of the Veno occlusive mechanism.