What is Otoplasty
Otoplasty, also referred to as cosmetic ear surgery, is a cosmetic procedure used to alter the shape, position, and overall proportion of ears. It is also used to correct ear-related defects on a structural basis. The primary goal of Otoplasty or Ear Reshaping in Dubai is to enhance the appearance of ears aesthetically by achieving ear symmetry. Living with large ears can be extremely tough. The size and shape of the ears can be a problem, especially for children. Many experiences and suffer from insensitive and unkind remarks and face humiliation daily.
With the latest technology in cosmetic surgery, this problem can be addressed by ear reshaping surgery. Ear reshaping can dramatically change a person’s appearance by making the ears look more normal. A defect in the development of the external ear causes the protruding appearance of the ears. This can be associated with other ear malformations that can be addressed simultaneously. The procedure of Otoplasty can reduce the ear size, mould them into a new shape, make them look more symmetrical, and place them closer to the head.
You may feel that your ears are too large or stick out, making your face appear disproportional. Ear reshaping, also known as Otoplasty, may “pin back,” reshape or reduce the size of your ears to make them more symmetrical and proportional to your face.
Benefits of Ear Correction
After your bandages are removed, you will observe an immediate change in the appearance of your ears. These changes are permanent. There are many psychological as well as aesthetic benefits of this treatment. Some of the most common benefits include
The results of ear surgery done by Bizrahmed plastic surgeons become visible immediately after the surgery in natural-looking and proportional ears with an improved balance of ears and face. The individuals who opt for Otoplasty surgery in Dubai at Bizrahmed not only experience the change in the appearance of the ears but also enjoy various aesthetic and psychological benefits, including:
- It dramatically improves your aesthetic appearance by improving your ears’ shape, size, and position.
- It is a safe procedure, and minimal side effects are associated with it.
- The procedure is suitable for correcting a wide variety of minor imperfections.
- It is suitable for children as well.
- It requires minimum downtime and causes minimal scarring.
- It significantly improves the quality of your life by boosting your confidence and self-esteem.
- It gives natural-looking results.
- Your ear’s overall aesthetic appearance and shape, size, and position are improved.
- Many sorts of minor imperfections can be corrected with this procedure
- It is also suitable for children
- It is a completely safe procedure, and minimum side effects are associated with it.
- It causes minimal scarring.
- It boosts your self-esteem and improves your self-image
- It yields natural-looking results
The Ideal Candidate
for Ear Correction
You may be the best candidate for ear surgery in Dubai if:
- You are not contented with the current appearance of your ears
- You have prominent ears
- You are in good health, both physically and psychologically
- You have realistic expectations of the results
- Your ears are not appropriate
- Your ears seem disproportionate to the rest of the facial features.
- Your ears have been misshapen due to some accident or an injury.
OF misshapen ears
Prominent or misshapen ears, present at birth or after an injury, can sometimes cause social anxiety regardless of age. This condition is especially difficult for teenagers as they can be a subject of teasing and ridicule from their peers. Some of the characteristics of misshapen ears include.
- Drooping or protruding ears
- Large ear lobes
- Ears with a missing cartilage
- Small, constricted ears
EAR RESHAPING (OTOPLASTY)
EAR RESHAPING (SEPTOPLASTY)
BEFORE & AFTER
Ear Reshaping Treatment Procedure
The latest Otoplasty procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia, sedation, or general anaesthesia, depending on the patient’s needs and the anaesthetist’s recommendation. An incision is made just behind the ear, and the underlying cartilage is trimmed and reshaped to give the ear a better shape.
And takes about 1 to 2 hours to complete. Highly customized surgery may also take 2 to 3 hours. Following is a detailed description of the surgery:
- Anaesthesia is administered, and either general or local anaesthesia may be used.
- Then the surgeon will make an incision at various sites depending on the alterations required. For example. Hidden in the folds of the ear. Behind the ears – for protruding ears.
- Then the required alterations are made, including reducing the ears’ size by cutting a part of cartilage or increasing the size by adding a cartilage graft or re-positioning of ears.
- Finally, incisions are closed using sutures.
- It is a very safe procedure with no effect on hearing. The surgery can be performed even on children from seven onwards.
Preparation for ear surgery
Here are some of the essential steps that you must take before the procedure:
- Discuss all medication and vitamins you regularly use with your consultant to see if you should stop taking them before surgery and, if so, for how long. For example, any medications and vitamins that interfere with your body’s blood clotting ability, such as Vitamin E, must be entirely stopped before surgery.
- Smokers should quit at least two months before surgery; smoking interferes with the efficiency of blood flow to the skin, which may impact achieving optimal results and increase the risk of complications.
- You should be in the best possible health and at a stable weight; following a healthy, balanced diet before surgery will help you be in optimal physical condition to help promote the best outcome.
Recovery & Downtime for ear surgery
Practically, there is no recovery time needed. However, because of the bulky dressing, patients may not attend school, or grown-up people may be unable to meet others. There could be swelling and bruising, lasting from a few days to a week.
The recovery time and downtime following ear reshaping surgery can vary depending on the extent of the surgery, individual healing abilities, and the patient’s overall health.
Generally, patients can expect swelling, bruising, and discomfort in the first few days following surgery. Pain medication may be prescribed to manage any discomfort during this time. The ears may be covered with a dressing or bandage, which should be kept in place until the surgeon advises removal. The surgeon may also prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection.
Patients can typically return to work or school within a week of the surgery, although strenuous activities and sports should be avoided for at least 4-6 weeks to allow proper healing.
The recovery process can vary from patient to patient, and it may take several months for the final results of the surgery to be fully visible. Your surgeon will provide you with specific guidelines and recommendations for your recovery process.
Results & Outcomes
- Almost immediate results.
- A surge in confidence while interacting with people without feeling self-conscious about your ears.
- Corrected protruding, large or tiny, folded and cupped ears.
- A sense of normalcy.
- Well-hidden scars behind the ears.
Though our expert team of plastic surgeons will give you a thorough list of post-surgical instructions, below are some standard instructions that nearly every patient needs to follow:
- Take the prescribed medications regularly.
- Use ice packs to reduce swelling and discomfort.
- Rest frequently for the first week of recovery, but start the light walk as soon as possible to keep blood flowing.
- Avoid strenuous activities and exercise for a few weeks.
- Keep your head elevated while resting or sleeping.
- Don’t rest your head on the treated ear.
Bizrahmed Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty) Surgeons
- It is essential to choose a suitable plastic or cosmetic surgeon. You have only one body, and putting it in the hands of anyone less competent can result in grave consequences.
- The ideal surgeon can understand what you want to achieve with the cosmetic surgery procedure and offer the best possible solution.
Cost of Ear Reshaping (Otoplasty)
The cost includes surgeon fees, hospital charges, and anaesthesia fees. Therefore, it is recommended to consult with the expert team of surgeons with us at Bizrahmed to know the exact cost. Getting an initial consultation before getting ear surgery in Dubai would be best. Our experts at Bizrahmed are always available to provide the best treatment. So, what are you waiting for? Please fill out the form and book your appointment with our surgeons.
The cost includes surgeon fees, hospital charges, and anaesthesia fees. Therefore, it is recommended to consult our expert surgeon at Bizrahmed to know the exact cost.
A suitable time to have an Otoplasty is when a child is 5-6 years old, and 90% of their ears’ growth is complete. This is the earliest recommended age.
Otoplasty can be performed under local or general anaesthesia with or without sedation.
This is a very common and safe procedure, although there are risks with any surgery, including infection, bleeding, and problems with anaesthesia. Rarely the hole in the eardrum does not close after the tube comes out and might need to be fixed surgically.
The procedure is not painful unless there are some complications. If unusual pain is noted, the patient must inform the doctor.
Once ear surgery is performed, the results are permanent unless some injury happens.
After otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery, it is generally recommended to avoid sleeping on your ears for at least two to three weeks following the procedure. This is to allow time for the ears to heal and reduce the risk of complications such as infection or damage to the newly reshaped cartilage.
In most cases, the results of otoplasty, or ear reshaping surgery, are permanent and the ears do not "go back" to their previous position or shape. However, as with any surgery, there is always a small chance of complications or unsatisfactory results, and in rare cases, revision surgery may be necessary to correct any issues.
During the otoplasty procedure, the surgeon will reshape and reposition the cartilage in the ear to achieve the desired outcome. This is done by making incisions behind the ear and removing or reshaping the cartilage as needed. The cartilage is then sutured into its new position to create the desired shape and size of the ear.
Following surgery, patients will need to wear a headband or bandage for a few days to help maintain the new position of the ears. It is important to follow the surgeon's post-operative instructions carefully to ensure the best possible outcome.
While it is uncommon for the ears to go back to their previous position or shape after otoplasty, it is possible for the results to be affected by trauma, injury, or the natural aging process. It is important to maintain good ear care and protect the ears from injury after surgery to help maintain the results.
After otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery, it is generally recommended to avoid wearing anything that puts pressure on the ears, including headsets or earbuds, for at least two to three weeks following the procedure. This is to allow time for the ears to heal and reduce the risk of complications such as infection or damage to the newly reshaped cartilage.
Your surgeon will provide you with specific instructions regarding what activities to avoid and for how long. They may also provide guidance on how to safely wear headsets or earbuds after the initial healing period.
When it is safe to resume using a headset, wear it carefully and avoid any unnecessary pressure on the ears. It is also important to keep the ears clean and dry to prevent infection.
It is best to follow your surgeon's recommendations and guidelines for post-operative care to ensure the best possible outcome from your otoplasty procedure.
- Sleep on your back: It is recommended to sleep on your back with your head elevated slightly for the first week following the surgery. This helps reduce swelling and pressure on the ears.
- Avoid sleeping on your side: It is important to avoid sleeping on your side or stomach for at least two weeks following the procedure. Sleeping on your side can put pressure on the ears and affect the healing process.
- Use pillows for support: You can use pillows to support your head and prevent you from rolling onto your side during the night.
- Wear a headband: Your surgeon may recommend that you wear a headband or wrap around your ears while sleeping for several weeks after surgery. This can help maintain the new shape of your ears and prevent them from being accidentally bumped or moved while you sleep.
typically removed within one to two weeks following the surgery.
instructions on how to shower after the procedure, but here are some general tips:
- Wait for a few days: It is recommended to wait for at least two to three days after surgery before taking a shower to allow the incisions to heal.
- Cover the ears: You may need to cover your ears with a shower cap or a plastic bag to prevent water from getting into the ears. Be sure to avoid any pressure on the ears while covering them.
- Use lukewarm water: Use lukewarm water to avoid any discomfort caused by hot or cold water.a
- Avoid harsh soaps and shampoos: Use a mild soap and shampoo and avoid any products that contain alcohol or other harsh chemicals that may irritate the skin.
- Gently pat dry: After showering, gently pat your ears dry with a clean towel. Do not rub the ears as this can cause damage or irritation to the healing incisions.