What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia (sometimes referred to as ‘male boobs’) is a common disorder that causes the breasts of boys and men to swell and expand bigger than average. In teenage boys and older men, it is most ordinary.
Gynecomastia is a medical condition characterized by the enlargement of breast tissue in males. It is caused by an imbalance of hormones, specifically an increase in the female hormone estrogen relative to the male hormone testosterone.
For patients suffering from Gynecomastia, there are two treatment options. Generally chosen based on the severity, these include treatment with Medications or going for Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai. At the same time, no drugs have been yet proven to be specifically made for treating the condition. Tamoxifen (Soktamox), Anastrozole (Arimidex), and Raloxifene (Evista) are beneficial. Termed “off-label” drugs are safe and help prevent further breast tissue growth. Still, professional consultation is necessary before the usage of these medications.
Gynecomastia Surgery (Male Breast Reduction) removes surrounding fat, glandular tissue, or glandular breast tissue to treat the irregular placement of male breasts. The processes adopted for this procedure include:
- Surgical excision
- Merged (excision and liposuction)
Opting for Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai is common and is done when the individual suffers from sagging breasts. Specialists often seek the help of liposuction to get rid of the excess fat from the breasts or may also advise mastectomy. In this procedure, a small incision is made to surgically remove the breast gland tissue, often providing permanent results. Afterwards, they are followed with cosmetic surgery that aids in getting the perfect shape and looks.
The benefits of gynecomastia treatment may include:
- Improved Appearance: Gynecomastia treatment can reduce the size of the breasts, improve chest contour, and help patients feel more confident and comfortable with their appearance.
- Increased Self-Esteem: Gynecomastia can cause embarrassment and self-consciousness in men, and treatment can help to improve self-esteem and quality of life.
- Relief from Physical Discomfort: Gynecomastia can cause physical discomfort, including breast tenderness and pain. Treatment can provide relief from these symptoms.
- Better Fitting Clothes: Men with gynecomastia may struggle to find clothing that fits well and feels comfortable. Gynecomastia treatment can help to improve the fit and comfort of clothing.
- Improved Exercise Performance: Men with gynecomastia may avoid certain types of exercise due to discomfort or self-consciousness. Gynecomastia treatment can allow patients to participate in a broader range of physical activities, improving overall health and fitness.
Overall, gynecomastia treatment can positively impact physical and emotional well-being, improving the quality of life for many men suffering from this condition.
Ideal candidates for gynecomastia treatment may include:
- Men with excess breast tissue or fat cause embarrassment, self-consciousness, or discomfort.
- Men who have tried diet and exercise to reduce the appearance of gynecomastia without success.
- Men who are in good overall health and do not have any medical conditions that could increase the risk of complications from surgery.
- Men who have realistic expectations for the outcome of gynecomastia treatment.
- Men who are at a stable weight and do not plan to undergo significant weight loss or gain shortly.
- Adolescents who have completed puberty and have persistent gynecomastia that causes significant psychological distress.
Your general doctor can diagnose Gynecomastia in Dubai; there are several occasions when you may be referred to a breast specialist. While there, you can undergo multiple breast tests for a precise diagnosis of Gynecomastia. This includes the following:
- Ultrasound scanning
- Core biopsy from which a sample of the breast tissue is obtained to be studied under a microscope.
- Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA): A fine needle and syringe are used here to take samples of the cells to be observed under a microscope.
On the other side, other body parts may be diagnosed since the swollen breast tissue may be due to other health problems. Patients with physiological, asymptomatic, and pubertal Gynecomastia typically do not need further assessment.
BEFORE & AFTER
With most cases arising due to hormonal imbalances within the male body, many other causes can also contribute to the condition. The male body consists of the female hormone estrogen and the male hormone testosterone—however, a sudden increase in estrogen results in enhanced male breast tissue, causing man breasts.
Additionally, thyroid problems, obesity, usage of illegal drugs, including steroids, kidney failure, and liver disease might also lead to the condition. Certain cancers and tumours have also been linked to male body anomalies. One needs to undergo a series of tests to identify the exact cause before undergoing Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai.
Any other Gynecomastia causing variables to include are:
- Excess antibiotics dosage
- Medicines for heart defects
- Drugs of Anti-anxiety
- AIDS recovery
- Tricyclic anti-depressants
- Drugs and steroids
- Overactive thyroid
- A tumour on one of the glands that control the hormone levels
- Injuries or infections involving the testicles
Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai (Male breast reduction) is typically conducted under general or local anaesthesia and takes 2-3 hours to complete, depending on the scope of the operation.
During Gynecomastia Surgery, the surgeon makes a small incision near the areola and places a cannula to suction rigid, fatty pockets. Later, the incisions are closed with non-noticeable scars, a minor invasive action. On the other hand, when surgical excision is adopted, doctors extract extra fat from the breasts by making a potential incision in the lower hemisphere and recover the normal appearance securely.
- It can take a few days for swelling to become inconvenient right after the Gynecomastia surgery. You can use a cold or warm compressor for 2-3 days to treat the swelling. Let your doctor decide what makes your healing work best.
- Because most Gynecomastia surgery involves a 1-inch incision, the initial days will likely be visible. The scar, though, will eventually fade away with every passing day.
- Avoid overexposure to heat and the sun for the first two weeks. Do not miss the doctor’s follow-up consultation. It lets the doctor closely track the healing process and, over time, remove the bandages.
After gynecomastia surgery, the breast will be wrapped, or dressings may be applied to the incisions. Support garments or elastic bandages can also be used. Sometimes, placing a small tube under the skin may be required to drain any additional fluid or blood that may collect.
Recovery time for Gynecomastia operation lasts two weeks, but most return to an average of 4 to 5 days after surgery. While patients need to visit the clinic for suture removal after 8-10 days of surgery. Thus, discomfort is normal following surgery. You should take any prescription pain medication for it. Physicians typically advise:
- Reduce steam baths
- Sleeping straight away
- Wear loose garments
- Hydrate yourself
- Support breasts with some garments
It is recommended to avoid any strenuous activity during the recovery period so as not to put too much pressure on the incisions. Patients should also attend regular follow-up sessions with their doctor after the surgery.
Gynecomastia surgery results
During gynecomastia surgery in Dubai, doctors remove the male breast glandular tissue from the patient’s body. There are rarely any cases of re-growth seen. If you undergo surgery by a high-skilled and qualified surgeon, you can rest assured of permanent results. Gynecomastia is highly successful, and most patients are thrilled with their results. But ensure that the surgery is done under the best conditions and professional guardianship so there are minimal chances of revision.
As long as you maintain a stable body weight and stop using hormones and other medications or products that affect your testosterone levels, Gynecomastia surgery in Dubai provides lasting effects.
Gynecomastia scarring after surgery
Like other surgeries, gynecomastia surgery in Dubai also requires incisions. Although most of these lines are easily concealed in a matter of time, some scarring may still be noticeable. These scars are often red or pink and may appear slightly raised during the initial days. Investing in the right surgeon is the best way to deal with this. Depending upon their expertise and skills, the incision lines may be more or less.
Additionally, an individual’s healing capacity is an essential factor in such cases. The faster the body heals, the more efficiently the scars are eliminated. But, in the case of low healing capacity, the wounds might be semi-permanent. It’s advised to seek complete information from the doctor before going through Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai.
Gynecomastia surgery cost
The cost of gynecomastia surgery in Dubai varies from person to person. Also, the prices depend upon the treatment duration, additional facilities, medications, hospital fees, doctor charges, etc. In short, the longer an individual stays under the surgeon’s care, the more he/she would have to pay for his Gynecomastia Surgery.
Similarly, while some surgeons may charge cheaper rates for consultations, others might be a tad more expensive. However, private clinics also offer premium quality Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai with affordable packages.
The cost for Gynecomastia surgery in Dubai may vary from clinic to clinic on different factors, such as:
- Fees for Anesthesia
- Price of a hospital and surgical centre
- Charges for surgical exams
- Price of post-surgery garments
- Price of prescription
- Surgeon cost
Preparation for gynecomastia treatment may include:
- Medical Evaluation: Before gynecomastia treatment, your healthcare provider will conduct a medical evaluation, including a physical exam and medical history review. This evaluation will help determine the underlying cause of your gynecomastia and ensure that you are a good candidate for treatment.
- Blood Work: Your healthcare provider may order blood tests to evaluate hormone levels, liver function, and other factors contributing to gynecomastia.
- Medication Adjustments: If you take medications that could increase the risk of bleeding or other complications during surgery, your healthcare provider may adjust your medication regimen or ask you to discontinue certain medications for some time before your procedure.
- Fasting: Your healthcare provider may ask you to fast for a certain period before surgery, typically after midnight the night before your procedure.
- Clothing and Personal Care: Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing on the day of your procedure, and avoid wearing jewellery or other accessories that may interfere with your treatment. Be sure to shower and wash your chest area thoroughly before your procedure.
- Arrange for Transportation: You will need someone to drive you home after your procedure, as you may be dizzy or unable to drive safely. Arrange for transportation in advance.
- Follow Instructions: Follow all pre-operative instructions provided by your healthcare provider to ensure the best possible outcome from your gynecomastia treatment.
Symptoms of Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia is characterized by the swelling or enlargement of breast tissue in males. The condition can affect one or both breasts and may cause discomfort or pain in some cases. Some of the common symptoms of gynecomastia include:
- Enlarged breast gland tissue: This is the primary symptom of gynecomastia and is characterized by the swelling or enlargement of breast tissue in males.
- Swollen or tender breasts: The breasts may feel tender or sore to the touch, and there may be discomfort or pain.
- Nipple discharge: In some cases, gynecomastia may be associated with nipple discharge, which can be clear, milky, or yellowish.
- Uneven breasts: The breasts may be uneven in size or shape, with one breast appearing more extensive or swollen.
- Psychological distress: Gynecomastia can cause psychological distress and self-consciousness, particularly in younger males who may be more sensitive to body image issues.
Yes, liposuction is one of the preferable Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai. In this procedure, the extra fat is removed surgically, seemingly unfathomable by medicinal drugs or dieting. A professional plastic or dermatologic surgeon excelling in a gynecomastia surgery in Dubai is needed where they mark the area to be treated and then proceed ahead with pre-surgery testing. The surgeon usually removes the extra growth; however, additional consultations can give the area an excellent shape and look.
The non-surgical treatments of Gynecomastia are
- Loose weight.
- Dieting and taking sport.
- Abstaining from tobacco use or steroid use.
- Reducing alcohol consumption.
- Having hormone remedies.
It can be preventable if the Gynecomastia is due to certain medical conditions or drug allergies. The patients should avoid alcohol, prohibited drugs, and other agents responsible for the anomaly. Professional testing is mandatory to track and prevent the causes effectively. In addition, a balanced diet, cutting down on junk food items, regular exercising, and maintaining an appropriate diet regimen is necessary. Signing up for hormone treatments for Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai has also been very useful for many.
Gynecomastia resulting due to hormonal imbalance is not preventable. There is no medical procedure that can predict future risks to hormonal imbalances and thus can occur at any time during the growth or ageing of a male. But, the condition occurring due to other medical conditions or drug abuse is somewhat preventable. Illicit and prohibited drugs, like anabolic steroids, amphetamines, marijuana, heroin, and androgens, should never be practised. They disrupt the standard neural and hormonal mechanisms, leading to uncomfortable situations. Similarly, they should do drinking in moderation, and a drug test is mandated to ensure they won't cause the man to avoid Gynecomastia Surgery in Dubai at all costs.
There is no definitive answer to this, as these conditions vary from person to person. While for young boys, Gynecomastia disappears naturally after crossing puberty, it might not be the same for others. These lumps may become permanent, affecting the very mindset of the individual and incurring negative body feelings. In such cases, surgery is inevitable to make the situation normal. Consulting with the right surgeon responsible for gynecomastia surgery in Dubai can aid in creating a permanent positive change.
After a successful gynecomastia surgery in Dubai, the average healing period is 1-2 weeks. Some private clinics might also increase or decrease their resting time based on the patient’s healing period and adjustment to the new breast shape. Patients will continue to take it easy during this period and must avoid strenuous exercise to promote recovery and prevent complications.
It can be preventable if the Gynecomastia is due to certain medical conditions or drug allergies. Professional testing is mandatory to track and prevent the causes effectively. In addition to these things, a proper intake of a balanced diet, cutting down on junk food items, avoiding the use of Tabacco & steroids, reducing alcohol consumption, regularly exercising and maintaining an appropriate diet regimen is necessary.
Gynecomastia resulting due to hormonal imbalance is not preventable. There is no medical procedure that can predict future risks to hormonal imbalances and thus can occur at any time during the growth or ageing of a male.
In most cases, gynecomastia that has been surgically removed does not grow back. However, there is a possibility that some breast tissue may remain, which can cause the appearance of gynecomastia to return. Additionally, if the underlying cause of gynecomastia, such as a hormonal imbalance, is not addressed, the condition may recur.
In most cases, the nipples will look normal after gynecomastia surgery. The surgical technique used for gynecomastia typically involves making an incision around the areola (the dark area surrounding the nipple) to remove excess breast tissue and fat. The areola is then repositioned and the remaining skin is tightened to create a more masculine contour.
After surgery, it is normal for the nipples to be swollen or slightly raised for several weeks. In some cases, the nipples may appear slightly asymmetrical or irregular during the initial healing period, but this typically resolves over time. Your healthcare provider will provide instructions on how to care for your incisions and manage any discomfort or swelling during the healing process.
Gynecomastia surgery can sometimes leave loose skin, depending on the extent of the surgery and the amount of excess skin that was present before the procedure. In some cases, removing a large amount of breast tissue and fat can result in loose skin that may not fully retract on its own.
To address loose skin after gynecomastia surgery, your healthcare provider may recommend additional procedures, such as skin tightening or a breast lift. These procedures can help to remove excess skin and improve the overall contour of the chest.
After gynecomastia surgery, the chest should appear flatter and more masculine in contour. The exact appearance of the chest will depend on the extent of the gynecomastia and the surgical technique used.
In most cases, gynecomastia surgery involves making an incision around the areola (the dark area surrounding the nipple) to remove excess breast tissue and fat. The areola is then repositioned and the remaining skin is tightened to create a more masculine contour.
It is recommended that you reach your target body weight before undergoing gynecomastia surgery. This is because significant weight loss after surgery can result in loose skin and a less desirable contour. Additionally, losing weight before surgery can help to improve the overall appearance of the chest and reduce the amount of breast tissue that needs to be removed during the surgery.
Gynecomastia surgery is generally associated with some degree of pain and discomfort during the recovery period, although the amount of pain can vary depending on the extent of the surgery and the individual's pain tolerance. In general, most people experience moderate to severe pain and discomfort for the first few days after surgery, which gradually improves over the following weeks.